Barnstable County Regional Emergency Planning Committee
Media Release 01 – Major Ocean Storm
March 1, 2018
For Immediate Release
Barnstable County Prepares for Powerful Ocean Storm
- Significant coastal flooding and beach erosion across eastern Massachusetts coast over at least 3 tide cycles from Fridaythrough Saturday
- National Weather Service high-wind warning in effect from 10 a.m. Friday to 10 a.m. Saturday with wind gusts potentially at hurricane force
- Heavy rain causing flooding in poor drainage areas
- Citizens should be prepared for potential power outages
- The Barnstable County Multi-Agency Coordination Center (MACC) will be activated at 6 a.m. FridayBARNSTABLE (MA) March 1, 2018 – The Barnstable County Regional Emergency Planning Committee (BCREPC) held a conference call at 10 a.m. March 1, 2018, to discuss preparations for the approaching ocean storm.
The BCREPC meteorologist reported that winds will increase on Friday morning with the greatest threat in the Cape/Islands area where damaging hurricane force wind gusts of 75 – 80 mph may occur. This will last from near 10 a.m. Friday to 10 am Saturday. Numerous power outages are likely. Citizens should be prepared for power outages with emergency supplies sufficient for 3 days.
Major coastal flood and surge threat exists for several tide cycles starting with the Friday late-morning tide going through the late-morning Saturday tide. This could extend to the Saturday evening tide if the system is slow to move out. Surge values over 3.5 feet on top of an already astronomically high March tide will cause potentially major flooding.
Heavy rainfall will overspread the region on Friday morning with 3-inch amounts and isolated 4-inch amounts possible over a 24-hour period.
Electric utility Eversource will prestage tree, pole, and line crews on the Cape ahead of the storm.
The BCREPC Multi-Agency Coordination Center (MACC) operated by the Barnstable County All Hazards Incident Management Team will be activated at 6 a.m. Friday.
No Regional Emergency Shelter System activation is planned at this time, but the Shelter System plan is in place and ready for activation if necessary.
For information about preparedness and the Regional Shelter System visit the Barnstable County REPC website atwww.bcrepc.org. Follow the BCREPC on Twitter @bcrepc.